Skukuza Accommodation and lodging:
- Safari Tents
- Guest Houses
- Sites for camping or caravans
- Semi Luxury Riverside Bungalows
- Family Cottages and Guest Cottages
Skukuza Camp Overview:
Skukuza Rest Camp in Kruger National Park is a popular rest camp situated in the heart of Big Five territory and is easily accessed by road and by air. Skukuza Rest Camp in Kruger National Park features a variety of accommodation options such as camp sites, 21 furnished safari tents, semi luxury bungalows, cottages and 4 guesthouses.
Activities, attractions and facilities are diverse, as are the animals and plants found both within Skukuza Rest Camp and the surrounding area. Skukuza Camp is an excellent rest camp from which to pursue the Big Five and birds in the vicinity. Lion are frequently spotted along this route.
A Brief History of Skukuza
The camp was originally known as Sabie Bridge or simply Reserve, the name was changed in 1936. Skukuza Rest Camp in Kruger National Park is named after the Tsonga name for James Stevenson-Hamilton, the first warden of the park. Literally translated it means ‘he who sweeps clean’, a reference to his removal of all the local people to make way for the establishment of the Park.
The Stevenson-Hamilton Memorial Museum houses many interesting artifacts – very well known is the knife ranger Harry Wolhuter used to single-handedly slay a Lion and save his own life. Skukuza is the Kruger National Park’s largest rest camp and administrative headquarters. It is situated on the southern banks of the Sabie River and is home to some interesting birds and amazing plant life.